NOTE: We are 16 years old. We are still a little awkward, and we're always late these days.
The reason why Nonsense still exists is because it serves a community. You are part of that community. And we still believe this community is vital to New York. Because in these dark times meaningless nonsense is more meaningful than ever. Collective joy brings us together. It is not a substitute for hard work and struggle. It is how you meet your people. It is our release.
We ask for a little help with this project once a year. Your donation covers real costs and keeps us an independent, ongoing resource for do-it-yourself, do-it-together culture in New York City. Please consider donating $15 if you find this list useful -- and a little more if we list your events. There's a link here:
Thank you so much for your support. May we all find joy at 5 in the morning; may we all wake up to go another day.
xxx, Jeff Stark and the Nonsense NYC staff
Friday, December 23
* Rock 'n' Roll Bingo, Queens
Saturday, December 24
* The 10th Annual Menorah Horah, Manhattan
* House of Yes Misfit Christmas, Brooklyn
* Good cheer, Everywhere
* Get Real, Brooklyn
Friday, December 30
* New Years Divinations, Manhattan
* Rhinestone Gorilla Burlesque: Dystopian Holiday, Brooklyn
* Bitch bus
* Nazi Cocaine Money
NOTE: For some navigation help, or an explanation for what this is all about, scroll all the way down to NONSENSE. You can donate to this project at nonsensenyc.com/special. Also: We make a lot of mikes, especially with dates; you should always double check our work before you go out.
XXXXX COVER ART XXXXX
XXXXX FRIDAY, DECEMBER 23 XXXXX
Rock 'n' Roll Bingo
Rock 'n' Roll Bingo is coming to town with tons of prizes to stuff your stockings and free booze to cure your holiday blues.
64-02 68th Avenue, at 64th Street, Ridgewood, Queens
XXXXX SATURDAY, DECEMBER 24 XXXXX
The 10th Annual Menorah Horah
A Hanukkah burlesque show. Drop that dreidel and hold on to your latkes. The Schlep Sisters are heating up the holidays with Hanukkah’s Hottest Hebrew Hotties.
Celebrate eight dreidel-spinning nights of Hanukkah in one special evening of music, laughs, latkes, and burlesque. The world-class Schlep Sisters -- Minnie Tonka and Darlinda Just Darlinda -- are joined by premier burlesque stars: Fancy Feast, Jonny Porkpie, Varla Velour, Sapphire Jones, Aphrodite Rose, Trinity Starlight, Sasha Velour, and Zoe Ziegfeld. Plus DJ Momotaro will make you shake your moneymaker, while host Bastard Keith will keep you laughing until your candles burn out. All that fun, for just a little gelt.
431 West 16th Street, Manhattan
6p doors, 8p show; $25
***** Also on SATURDAY *****
House of Yes Misfit Christmas
Oh, Come all ye faithful. Slide on down our chimney. It’s the Night before Christmas. Come on over and we will slip some presents under your tree. Tis the season for embracing your misfit-ness. Native New Yorkers, Orphans, Tourists, Chosen People and Non-Christmas Celebrators unite. The city is ours, come spend Christmas Eve with your chosen family and all of your long-lost fellow misfit sisters and brothers and hot mamas and sugar-daddies on the dancefloor at House of Yes.
We’ve saved our best holiday shenanigans for last and will be getting way too festive one last time with cookies and milk, spiked hot cocoa, chinese food and movies, fake snow, real snow, yellow snow, mistletoe makeout booths, runaway reindeer, drunk santas, sober snowflakes, elves on strike, awkward uncles, sexy aunts, and everything else that reminds us of how weird this night is for the rest of us. Make your own tradition, find your own family, get into the spirit and don’t forget to give it. Wear your xmas pajamas, ugliest sweaters, lucille ball gowns, nativity costumes, angel outfits, rudolph clown nose, and anything else that makes you feel the joy.
House of Yes
2 Wyckoff Avenue, Brooklyn
10p-4a; $free all night with RSVP
12 and over
XXXXX CHRISTMAS XXXXX
XXXXX THURSDAY, DECEMBER 29 XXXXX
How ya been? We doing our second annual pre-NYE Get Real warehouse with Claude VonStroke and Green Velvet.
RSVP for address
XXXXX FRIDAY, DECEMBER 30 XXXXX
New Years Divinations
On the eve of New Years Eve, New York City's finest psychics, readers, and healers gather at the Alchemist's Kitchen to offer illuminating insights and healing services. Reflect on past and future with greater clarity in one one one consultations with seasoned readers. Replenish your own stock of healing remedies. Activate your intuition with our state-changing botanical elixirs and set intentions for an extraordinary new journey around the sun.
The Alchemist's Kitchen
21 East 1st Street, Manhattan
6:30-9:30p; $free, with $20 per session
**** Also on FRIDAY, DECEMBER 30 ****
Rhinestone Gorilla Burlesque: Dystopian Holiday
New Year’s Eve is a night we spend looking forward, imagining the future in a glow of welcoming candlelight, with hope in your heart and champagne in your glass. But New Year’s Eve *Eve* is something else entirely. New Year’s Eve Eve is about looking back, remembering what was in the heat of a dumpster fire, with knots in your stomach and cheap whiskey in your flask.
Before you ring in the joy of a new year, wring out the flop sweat of the old. Join Rhinestone Gorilla as we look back in anger at the year that was, work through our anxiety about what’s to come, and say goodbye and fuck you to 2016.
12 Jefferson Street, Brooklyn
9p doors, 9:30p show; $10-20 suggested donation
XXXXX UPCOMING XXXXX
* Rubulad Proudly Presents Y2K Flashback, December 31
* Gemini and Scorpio present Labyrinth Lounge, December 31
* Junxion Reset, December 31
* Coney Island USA Presents How Cool Is This New Year's Eve Party? December 31
* Mister New Year's Eve and Mister New Year's Day, December 31 and January 1
* Mister Sunday: New Year's Day, January 1
* Golden Festival, January 13 and 14
XXXXX WISHLIST XXXXX
What have you been wishing for? Collaborators, grant monies, a new home? Please send brief listings to jstark]at]nonsensenyc.com. We only list available apartments, lofts, studios, and one-off rentals -- not spaces wanted.
***** ARTY STUFF *****
* BK Bitch Bus, Roundtrip from Bushwick to Washington DC for the Womens March on Washington. Bushwick Brooklyn, Near the Morgan L to Washington DC, and back. Women of Brooklyn, Unite! On January 21, we will be taking a bus from Bushwick, Brooklyn to Washington DC to lend our voices and our hearts to the cause of defending women's rights, health, and equality. The bus is comfortable, seats 55, with reclining seats and a bathroom. This a roundtrip journey from Bushwick near the Morgan L stop, leaving early and returning late. It is $50 for round trip reservations, departing at 6p. Donations to subsidize riders that need support are also greatly appreciated. bkbbus]at]gmail.com. Reservations and donations can be made via indiegogo: generosity.com/community-fundraising/bk-women-march-on-washington-rt-bus-january-21/x/15512198 bkbitch.tumblr.com/
* A couple months ago, my friend Melanie and I started Leave a Message After the Tone, a short-form podcast about voicemails and the everyday moods they capture. The premise is simple: listeners call in and leave voicemails about a set topic. So far, we've released four episodes, covering topics such as memorable moments on public transportation to the messiness of friendship break-ups. The AV Club called it "bite-sized and soothing," and depending on the topic, the immersive podcast can range from funny to whimsical to critical. Passing it along because I think it might be right up nonsensenyc's alley and I'd love if it could be featured in the upcoming newsletter. This month, we're asking listeners to call in at 203 890 0974 and share their stories -- big or small, gradual or sudden -- about when their understanding of a family member changed. Maybe it was something said during their grandparents' divorce, or a conversation they had with their uncle at 7-Eleven. But whatever the case, it changed how they saw them -- for the good, the bad, or just different. leaveamessageafterthetone.com/
* Wanted: guitar/keyboard/accordion player for a sing along on New Year's Eve in Bushwick. There is a little money involved, plus free drinks, comps to a party, and being treated like a king/queen/nongenderbinary royalty. Amateurs welcome. Please forward to anyone you know who might be interested and feel free to ask me for more details. Email veronicadougherty]at]hotmail.com.
***** SPACES *****
* Rubulad has one art studio and one soundproof shipping container music studio available now at our new place in Bushwick, right in between the Jefferson and Morgan stops. Studios come with a rad garden huge shared outdoor space. Asking $650, $700 per month with a one-month deposit chris]at]spill.net
***** MONEY *****
* Support ABC No Rio: abcnorio.org/support/support.html
XXXXX SPECTRE PRIORITY XXXXX
Before we had a name the Spectre Event Horizon Group used to meet at a bar to commiserate and trade what our business friends like to call "best practices." Now online, our area of interest remains the ever-fascinating sci-fi present. Our simple intent is an informal trade of specialized investigative research, presented as gossip for the non-specialist. It's true we once were an active email list but at this point everything is searchable and commented upon here: spectrevision.net. The updates are compiled for Nonsense by J. Sinopoli. Contact spectre.event.horizon.group]at] gmail.com.
***** Nazi Cocaine Money *****
"Klaus Barbie used drug money to fund a military coup in Bolivia, creating a narco-state where traffickers could build a cocaine empire immune from prosecution. Barbie stayed on with the new dictatorship and was paid $2,000 a month for his "consulting services" to act as the liaison between the traffickers and the government, military and mercenaries. They included Pablo Escobar, the richest gangster in history, who amassed a £30 billion personal fortune and at one point was responsible for 80 percent of the powder smuggled into the US. It is likely that Barbie, who had a lucrative sideline as an arms trader, also supplied him with weapons.
There is far more to the story of Klaus Barbie and cocaine than just that. Amazingly, he was also a vital part of America's fight against communism and was an important agent for the US spy organisation the CIA, which used cocaine as a weapon in the Fifties. So deeply involved was Barbie with the cocaine business that Bolivia soon became the principal supplier of the drug to the then fledgling Colombian cartels.
XXXXX OVERHEARD XXXXX
Overheard is from Irene Pedruelo's Mi Niu York, a weekly newsletter for curious characters, treasure hunters, and eccentrics. You can sign up for her favorite stories, projects, artworks, and quotations at miniuyork.com.
People say amazing things when they think no one is listening. Overheard is about capturing these moments. We share one quotation each week that stuck with us. It's always unsolicited and unedited.
What did you overhear this week? Submit a quotation and a brief description of the scenario to Irene at irenecroga]at]gmail.com.
Overheard in New York. December 2016. Woman in her late 20s to cashier:
-- Do you guys sell any fruit?
-- Mmh, what do you mean by fruit?
XXXXX LEARNING XXXXX
We look for the sort of classes you circled in college course catalogs but never managed to fit into your schedule. And we also look for the kind of things that no college could teach. Cheap and eclectic is the rule, though all rules get broken occasionally, and we especially love workshops, round-tables, and teachers who won't take your work out of your hands and show you how to do it right. One-time listings are categorized weekly, with general recurring classes listed at the end on the first Friday of each month. We thrive on your suggestions, so make sure to tell us about upcoming classes.
Learning is compiled and edited weekly by Juliana Driever. Please send listing suggestions to learning]at]nonsensenyc.com.
***** LEARNING: UPCOMING *****
New Year's Resolution: Learn How to Compost
Make 2017 the year to adopt more environmentally-sustainable habits. Join us for an introductory workshop on composting your food scraps in New York City. We'll be covering what compost is, why it is important, and the many ways that all NYC residents can compost their food scraps.
Sixth Street Community Center
638 East 6th Street, Manhattan
January 10, 6:30-8p; $free
***** LEARNING: UPCOMING *****
Deep House Yoga
Yoga, loosely translated from its Sanskrit root -- means ''union'' or ''integration'' -- the bringing together of a sound mind and spirit within a sound body. Riding at the forefront of the new health-conscious clubbing movement, DeepBeats: Deep House Yoga is a union of not just the spiritual and physical, but a fusion of the ancient discipline of yoga with the sounds of today’s underground dance music. It brings together the mental and physical benefits of yoga with the spiritual connection we feel to the music we love.
House of Yes
2 Wyckoff Avenue, Brooklyn
January 14, noon-1p; $20
XXXXX HANDS XXXXX
We want to help you find help for short-term projects. Do you have a project, an event, or an action that needs an extra push, a few more people, or an extra set of hands? Please send your calls for help to: hands]at]nonsensenyc.com.
XXXXX NONSENSE XXXXX
nonsense nyc is a discriminating resource for independent art, weird events, strange happenings, unique parties, and senseless culture in new york city.
please remember you are welcome to pass nonsense along to anyone who needs to see it, but you do not have permission to use any of the listings for your commercial endeavor. if you are receiving this list as a forward you can sign up for yourself at nonsensenyc.com/subscribe.
we accept donations to cover the costs of producing this list, and suggest $10 a year, or $25 a year if we list your events. this is not a traditional subscription, but a donation because you believe independent artists should support other independent artists. you can make donations here: nonsensenyc.com/special/. thanks.
XXXXX END XXXXX